Thursday, June 5, 2008

Back again

So I'm back from our second stint out, the Kenai Peninsula is truly Nature's playground. There are so many trailheads and rivers down there that I can see myself staying there on multiple occasions. Its a great region with beautiful views and tons of wildlife.

Actually if you check the updates on my pictures you can see some of the up close loon and moose shots I was able to get. I hate that I can't really tweak any pictures on this computer, but I'll have things pined down a touch better when I get back to my desktop in August.

Initially we hit up Dolly Varden Campground off of Swanson Lake Road. Dolly Varden Lake was amazing, pristine, a ton of loons floating around, and overall a great site... One problem... the bastards don't know when its time to sleep. When its midnight and you have loons calling back and forth in front of your campground its tough to fall asleep. Majestic creatures, but they don't know when to shut up and sleep.

I really wish I had had my license and a rod down there, the trout fishing is apparently amazing on the Kenai. The salmon aren't running yet, but they should be by mid-June and I'll make sure I'm set by then.

After that we hit up Kelly Lake. Over near Skilak Lake. It was another gem, great view of the Chugach Range from the campsite and this is where the moose and calf pictures were from. Mosquitos were pretty bad down in the black spruce lowlands that we were working in. But the weather has held out and I'd much rather get bit a few times out there than get rained on. Alaska has been a hell of a place so far, but I wish I had my car up here, even the off days involve a ton of walking around.

Guess Kayla and Greg will be up next time I'm off so it might be a while until I post again. We'll probably hit up some of the trails and touristy shit around Fairbanks and I'll catch up with them again after we go back down to the CRV. Anyway, until later.

~Steve

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Hi steve, Cousin mikey here. just got uncle Barb set up to blog. Good luck with the bears, hope you don't amount to SCAT!