Monday, May 12, 2008

It Begins...

So here I am, sitting in Hancock International in Syracuse... Bored off my skull, people watching (Trust me, in Syracuse, you see some winners), and waiting for the connection to Detroit. Then, Minneapolis, and then the big 7 hour job to Fairbanks.

I can't tell if I'm excited as hell, nervous as hell, or all of the above. It's definitely going to be different, hiking the Alaskan Backcountry for three months, living out of a tent.

Once I get there I'm going to be in for a shock, both visually and culturally. I guess they're already up to 16 hours of daylight up there, and weather is about like early summer around home, so that won't be bad. Had to pay an extra fifty bucks to get all my gear up there, but you figure the main bag I threw everything in weighed about 15 pounds in itself, fully contained my pack should be around 35-40 which is about what I was shooting for, and my boots will be on my feet instead of packed. All in all its about the minimum I could throw in there for three months in a different world.

Also, for any of you wondering about the title of the blog, Preab San Ol is traditional Gaelic that roughly translates to "Another Round." Its an abbreviated form of "Chur preab san ol" or "Move the drink along." I figured it was fitting title for the next few months. Anyway, more to come soon...

2 comments:

TessaD said...

I'm very excited for you! I know this is going to be a great trip and an experience you'll never forget. I'm pretty jealous right now...

<3

Anonymous said...

Have fun and be safe!
Tree Hugger!